Friday, October 19, 2007

Is there a pot of gold at the end of In Rainbows?

See, that's the sort of tripe you get for free. Were you actually paying to read piece of journalism you'd get real writing. So what are people paying for real music when they have the choice to pay whatever they wish? Apparently, close to normal price.

Although the idea is that you can decide what you want to pay, most people are deciding on a normal retail price with very few trying to buy it for a penny.

I should remind you that reportely a band receives $1-2 per album sold, so Radiohead has made at probably five times normal revenue on albums sold (minus costs, which can't be over 50%). As for a musical review of the new Radiohead album, I don't have that yet. But I do like it very much. And I think you would. Several people who have listened to my album have liked it quite a bit, so you should give it a try. The most it should cost you is 45p, plus whatever your credit card may charge to convert pence to pennies. And you don't have to feel wrong about paying no more than that. If Radiohead had wanted you to pay more then they would have set a price floor. So why have so many people paid a "fair" price for a nigh-free album? Hmmm... well, maybe most Radiohead listeners are doves. But more on doves later. For now, two telling quotes from my favorite Radiohead fan (since my second favorite fan can't yet decide if he likes the band):

Why pay four pounds when you can get the album for free? and also she was thinking [I] should have paid more for In Rainbows after listening.

1 comment:

My Breathments Off said...

In Rainbows is a very good album. It seems as though they are one of the few bands out there making good music in our generation.