Wednesday, October 10, 2007

How come the world is multivariate when you can only make one choice at a time?

That's not really the question at hand, but it might as well be. The very smart Justin Taylor has written an interesting piece in response to my friend who made the popular statement that he will not vote for Rudy Giuliani should he win the Republican Party Presidential nomination. (My friend is also very smart and, by the way, referred to me as a venerated authority on college sports.) This idea stems in part from Minneapolis pastor John Piper (he is undeniably venerated, and an authority on many issues) and his stance on what he calls one-issue politics.

In short, Justin Taylor argues that by making the right choice you could be making the wrong choice. In length, that argument entails discussing that the evils and goods in this world are not always balanced and that not all decisions are, nor should be, easy to make. But read less from me and more from Justin Taylor. And more from Denny Burk. And more from John Piper.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Love the Piper post... Especially in light of the identity crisis about party affiliation underway with Christian Evangelicals and the GOP. Is abortion, which won't affect me, worth being the primary factor in how I vote? Piper says yes, and I am inclined to agree.