Sunday, October 07, 2007

Black socks



Have become a staple of my fashion diet and an eyesore to my wife. She complains about them all the time since I seldom exchange them for whites whenever I remove the shoes that hide them. And since I wear black socks most days, I wear black socks most evenings.

I thought she would just get used to it, but this has not seemed to occur. So now I think I will try a little bandwagon persuasion to see if she will continue to detest my black socks.

Black seems to be the sock of choice at many esteemed institutions for special occasions or a Saturday afternoon outing. Auburn, Washington State, Michigan, Arizona State, Georgia and Alabama, Colorado, Utah, Oregon and Fresno State, Cincinnatti, Texas, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Rutgers, and Stanford don't seem the least bit shamed wearing black socks with multicolored garb. How can so many smart people be so wrong?

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wearing black socks is fine. Wearing black socks with shorts, especially when you're as white as you are, is not so fine.

And don't even compare them apples to the oranges of wearing black socks as part of a uniform. And you call yourself an economist.

But here's what's really troubling: the photo you provide shows toe marks like the black-socked man in question has been wearing those socks with flip-flops. Now, that's every kind of wrong, and you know it.

Micah said...

well, the photo is from a new zealand website. i can't be accountable for how those guys wear their socks. also, he could be a ninja. ninjas are known to wear split-toe socks.

Jen said...

You must be out of your bleeding mind.

Brent said...

I feel your pain, bro!

Yes, on Sunday Afternoons I often slip out of my church shoes and into some nice flip-flops with black socks still faithfully worn... And I take vehement abuse from a certain special someone!

Must need a Y chromosome to appreciate black socks fully!
Brent

Jen said...

Well, you guys just need to take a Sunday afternoon nap together all cuddled up with your black socks. Aww.

Anonymous said...

Is it OK to wear black socks with shorts if they're ankle socks? My girlfriend only ever cares about the LENGTH of the socks I wear with shorts, not their color.