Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A white man's perspective on the celebration of the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr

(I wrote this yesterday, for yesterday, but post a day late, on the day of the inauguration of America's first black President)

Last night Jen and I were discussing where Martin Luther King, Jr falls in the scope of America’s most important historical figures. Without a doubt he is easily within the top-50. Most of our discussion was actually about what “historically important” means; while I maintain that Elvis’ contributions to American history are significant in scope, she maintains that they are by no means significant contributions. Nevertheless, Dr King fits all such criteria and we decided that the conversation is whether he is a top-10 or top-25 American historical figure.

I’m not sure where he fits and I won’t propose such (though suggestions are welcome), but what interests me most is how often this day is maligned. I understand that historically there has been much opposition to this day being an official American holiday (marked as a paid holiday for federal employees); many prominent politicians have opposed the holiday. Also, it is unique among holidays in that it celebrates someone who has never held political office and is the most recent of the national holidays.

I am young, so I've missed the historical arguments. In my memory, it has always been a holiday, though really the day began to be officially recognized in 1986. I know that the past discussions are not dismissed simply because this observation has been official for now over 20 years, but what confounds me is how people speak about the holiday. Just last week I heard in conversation, “If you only understood how much it means to them.” This morning I overheard someone joking on the phone with a client, “aren’t you taking the day off?” (as though there is hidden merit to working on this day).

Maybe I misunderstand the historical record, but I take Dr King’s work as that of uniting people across and despite of differences. His work was to represent and profit the rights of the oppressed and marginalized black society, but not for the purpose of nationalizing these communities into national prominence. To me, Dr King represents freedom and good will towards all men, not just black men, and his primary goal was that black men--and all men--would have a common standing among one another.

Certainly, his efforts have not yet been fully rewarded. After the recent Presidential election, in which America elected her first black President, many people reacted in what seems to me a very un-King-ly way. “We won!” or “we lost” or "what are they going to do to this country" may have been words spoken or heard depending on whether you are black or conservative; such Us-Them speech abounds today despite Dr King's efforts.

“We” too often speak poorly of “them”, whoever “they” may be, speaking with contempt or disdain or disgust but mostly I think with ignorance and bias. “We” too often don’t want to be reconciled with “them”. “We” don’t want “them” to have what “we” have. Or "we" want what "they" have and had and want to lord it over "them" just as "they" have for so long. “We” don’t want “them” to live near or threaten “our” kids. "We" don't want to be like "them" or "them" like "us".

This is what Dr King wanted us (all) to be rid of. I’m glad (and hope to grow in my appreciation) of what he did to unite the black communities in America against the injustices they’ve faced. More so I’m glad that his goal was not to unite “them” in order to gain the position of “us”, but to unite them with us so that we may be together a better and more responsible community.

We still have a long way to go. Yesterday I worked on the observation of the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr, not out of disrespect or because it wasn't a holiday for my organization, because the people in my office work (my company has 2 employees split into different offices). I worked as a sign of solidarity towards them.

But I look forward to the time when we all observe this day for the purpose of working towards and celebrating many of the same goals that this man sought after. I think these are good goals and I’m glad they’re goals for all of us and not just some of them.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow. Nicely put.