Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Challenge

During 2008 I challenged myself to read 30 books during the year. This number was somewhat arbitrary, but since I was turning 30 and wanted a significant challenge to myself, I chose the relatively difficult rate of 2.5 books per month.

I didn’t make it, but I enjoyed the experience. And I don’t think it’s inappropriate to knowingly set the bar high. When I was 26 I challenged myself to get in shape by committing to run a marathon. Granted, I was a runner previously, but at that time I was not in shape and had never run that far. And it worked out, though I was 27 by the time I raced the 26 miles.

So, last year I failed my resolution, though not too miserably. I didn’t actually commit to this at New Year’s, though it was early enough to count for the year. And I have enjoyed reading much more, though my discipline of reading regularly is not yet transformed. But I completed 12 books and started but have not finished another 11. I expect to finish these and more during the current year, with a slight twist on last year's pledge.

Without creating a challenge to myself this year, except to continue learning and enjoy the learning, I look forward to completing 12 new books this year (1 per month) while completing or re-reading 12 books (owned and unread also may count here, 1 per month), and listening to 12 new albums of music as well. For the latter, I have some ideas (as I intend to rely heavily upon un-sampled portions of Rolling Stone’s Top lists) but am very open to recommendations for any new item, book or music. If you have any suggestions, please provide them.

(So I guess, having set specific goals above, that this is a sort of challenge for 2009... )

No comments: