Wednesday, June 27, 2007

When it comes to impulsiveness, I'm a zero

I never have been one to make quick decisions. Much to the concern of my dinnermates, I chew my food endlessly before deciding I'm ready for the next bite. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I chew my thoughts tirelessly before responding in conversation. I never make rash decisions--though this confused my wife for quite some time as she observed certain actions that seemed unprompted. I'd never consulted her but instead had thought that scenario out ahead of time and already concluded what I would likely do.

But despite my specific reasons for being slow in decision-making, in the end I really just don't like quick decisions. My mental discomfort quickly moves to emotional and physical discomfort and I ultimately rationalize that impulsive or rash decisions shouldn't be made--at all.

But that really isn't important. That's just a preview for why I'm thinking about my next vehicle--one which I don't expect to pursue for at least six months--and one in which I want to enlist your help.

We realized last December that I need, or at least desire, a vehicle that carries more than two people, now that we have three. I suppose we could get by with my truck in a manner like those mind-twisting math problems involving rafts, rivers, monkeys, and bananas, all needing to cross (except the river, which is stationary in an odd sort-of-way), but in the end I want a vehicle that is sufficient for myself and my family. [Divert here for some monkey-math]

And I want to know what you think I should and what I will end up purchasing. At least this will make the car discover experience interesting, being that I've already got a frontrunner (which will remain nameless).

To help you a little, I currently drive a Toyota Tacoma (not unlike this) and Tigger and Swift both agreed that my next vehicle should and will be the Honda Accord.

I would especially like to hear BK's opinion, since I count his opinion on cars near equal to a grandmother's opinion on cookies.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I think you should get a Honda alright. An Odyssey! Mini-vans truly are wonderful. You have to own one to believe it.

btw, HaPpY BiRtHdaY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren said...

But I don't think you'll end up with a van. I bet you end up with a sedan. If you do, I love the way Camrys drive. That's what I'd want. Camrys feel a lot better than Accords to me. Highlanders are nice, too. Siennas,now, are awesome. But pricey.

What the heck am I saying? I don't know much about cars.

Micah said...

i think it should be noted also, the date on this post (27 June) and the date i published it (1 July, late)

Micah said...

well, without divulging too much information--both of my parents have a camry, we owned an accord, i think i like the accord better. i like our cr-v, but in general i'd rather have a wagon than an suv, except that very few good wagons are built in the modern era and some of those have engine troubles (like the volvo). i like trucks, but they've all gotten too big, i think. oh, and there's also price, fuel economy, and residual value to consider.

when i last took the car talk auto advisor survey it suggested the chevy impala. though an enjoyable rental, i can tell you i won't be purchasing that car.

Jen said...

Cuz your wife won't let you. . . .

Brent said...

Fight off the mini-van as long as possible. Once you go there, you won't come back... at least not without those personalized family stickers plastered all over you, and possible a soccer decal.

As a CR-V owner, I would recommend, though the Porche Cayenne might do well, as well... *grin*

Anonymous said...

Strange, I have to agree with the Accord comment. Maybe an EX though, just to keep it real. However, my choice if I were in your shoes would have to be either the Porsche Panamera (seen here in prototype form, you'll have to wait a bit) or the Mercedes CLS, in whatever AMG flavor was available at the time.

Enjoy.

Micah said...

the family-sized porsche. i like that idea. we'll just have to keep the family to whatever size fits inside or i'll have to begin choosing favorites.