Saturday, March 31, 2007

Well, ain't that a sight


And a wonderful new way to see the Grand Canyon. What you see above is a glass-walled, glass-floored, skywalk that cost $30 million and has been described a truly spiritual event. Opening earlier this week, the Grand Canyon Skywalk on the Hualapai Indian Reservation is a horsehoe-shaped walkway protruding seventy feet out into nothingness, at rest 4000 feet above the Colorado River at the bottom of the canyon.

This is magnificent marriage between natural and engineered wonder, and is certainly something to behold. Amazed as I am, I'm don't really know what to think about it all. I lean towards thinking that it gives the viewer an experience unlike any other in the world (which is true). Certainly the Washington Monument, Gateway over St Louis, and Eiffel Tower provide such an experience. These also evoke great pride as public art that embodies the character of a region. I hope the Grand Canyon Skyway in time may prove to be such an experience.

At the present time, however, there is much concern over the skyway and its construction at what is undoubtedly America's most treasured park. Many consider the skyway tantamount to defacing this national treasure. The Hualapai, who possess this portion of the national park as part of their reservation, say that it will enhance the visitor's experience in a positive way. I would like to agree, but these comments lead me to think other thoughts:

Tribal officials say the development, which may eventually include hotels, restaurants and a golf course, is the best way to address the social ills of a small reservation, where the 2,000 residents struggle with a 50% unemployment rate and widespread alcoholism and poverty.

When I visit a zoo I have mixed feelings of amazement at the animals I see and great discontent that these animals, especially the majestic predatory cats, are bottled up in concrete and steel gates. I'm worried that I'll view the skywalk with similar remorse if I see it up close and personal.

Jen says I'm worried you'll crap your pants if you see the skywalk up close and personal. That may be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am definitely on the side of this "bridge" being a defilement of the Grand Canyon. The canyon itself is an amazing work of our Creator and should not be this commercialized! (And - I am absolutely of the "you'll crap your pants" group if I were in fact to ever go there!)

Jen said...

Finally, Kinsey speaks! But what if the bridge helps visitors cultivate the proper awe?

I do mean that question seriously, but I also cringe at it. I mean, shouldn't a big hole in the ground be enough to make me worship the Creator for making it? Why do I have to hover over it to increase my appreciation?

PS I'm in that group too :) But I'm itching to go anyway.

Micah said...

well, whatever happens, we're not viewing this thing all at once. not with all the pants-crapping going around.

Jen said...

True. No family trip to the Grand Canyon, that's for sure.

Unknown said...

If we do take a family trip, we certainly need Pa - he has plenty of the appropriate under-clothing for the natural event that will surely take place. I'm sure he'd be glad to share!