Sunday, November 05, 2006

Word to your moms, I came to drop bombs

I hope you've had the opportunity to see this guy on tv. Nevermind that he looks like the colonel, his campaign adverts are the best ever. In case you've missed it totally, his tv spot runs something like this:

[Dark background] Illegal immigration is a weapon of mass destruction waiting to happen [mushroom cloud in red engulfs dark background]... join me to get rid of [the incumbent] who voted for civil rights and for amnesty for illegals [many images of poor aliens, most mexican]... many have fought and died for this country, let's not give it away.

Now, I may be wrong on a lot of things, including politics and political motivation, but it seems a bit excessive to equate mexican immigration with nuclear detonation. I won't deny that immigration is a national issue in dire need of resolution, but I'll disagree that illegal immigration is the greatest danger facing this country. It also seems a bit much to deny charity and forgiveness to someone who faces considerable danger to earn less money than you. And it seems a bit futile to attack an incumbent with a one-issue platform, especially when that one issue was not one of voter parlance prior to suggestion. Fear is a powerful motivator, but it can also blind a man. Maybe even blind a man from seeing how unreasonable is his campaign.

But, hey--we gots to protect them borders. I gots to look out for me and mine.

No comments: